What we have learned from 2022 thus far:
CES having a lighter crowd than usual, a number of Covid-19 cases worldwide crossed the 300M mark, JPM HC starts remote this week, the stock market did not perform positively, and my crypto portfolio not doing too hot — on top of all of that, they called this past week: The week America called in sick… not exactly the best start to 2022 if you ask me.
Only thing right now I can bet on is our business, OfficeHours, continuously crushing it and helping Mentees PLACE INTO THEIR DREAM JOBS.
Welcome to our 3rd year of Business!
Year 1 was to Learn.
Year 2 was to Develop.
Year 3 is to Crush.
Which brings me to the main point and the reason you guys and girls even read this stuff in the first place:
Interview Season is upon us and it is going to be brutal (if you aren’t prepared).
First off, you have no excuses not to use our free LBO Modeling Test & PE Case Study. Bookmark that page because we’re always adding more to it.
Few reasons we think this year for interviewing is going to be tough:
- Even WSJ is reporting: ‘Why 2022 Is the Year You Get Your Dream Job:Savvy job seekers can seize this moment to get the career and compensation they want’ and ‘Big Raises Are Coming in 2022, So Make Your Game Plan Now: Do your research, focus on your contributions and be willing to walk away’
- TLDR: Employers need help and they know people are continuously walking away from good opportunities so for the right talent they will go to extremes to keep them MEANING if you want just any old job, you can get it — but the best jobs are going to be COMPETITIVE AF
- Now more specific to Buyside (which are obviously crem de la crem jobs) — We (OfficeHours) has now seen an entire On & Off-Cycle Recruiting Process with the Class of 2022 (start to finish) — see many of our placements here.
- Many of our Mentees have received multiple offers and have a good understanding of what to expect from the interview process (many of our materials reflect this information). The best part is since the OfficeHours Community is a couple thousand of the smartest people in the room (Mentees, Coaches, Advisors, Friends & Family in the space, etc.), we have ears everywhere. Not only do we hear from Coaches re: how they’re going out of their way to make difficult interview tests to vet for better talent, but we hear from some of our best and brightest Mentees re: what was the most difficult thing they had to encounter while interviewing. Lots of headhunters asking about companies you would invest into, business intuition guides, firms asking who all you’ve spoken to get community thoughts on you, etc.
Click below to schedule a free assessment with our team to determine your ‘readiness.’
Few reasons we think this year for interviewing is going to be tough (continued):
- We have been hearing from Mentees interviewing and many Coaches of ours that there are the ‘Prepared’ and then the ‘Un-Prepared’ aka now that we are approaching our 3rd year of remote work (& OfficeHours being in existence!), firms have learned how to vet and interview and hire in a remote environment — they want people who have either seen an office environment (or at least know how to function within an office environment — any office work experience helps here if you can speak about it!)
- Couple of points to consider when thinking about interviewing:
- Are you looking into the camera during a Zoom call and actually engaging with the participant? VP Coach of ours says the candidates he’s been interviewing recently for his new fund don’t even try to make eye contact… smh
- How involved were you actually from home? There are analysts that just did what they were told but really didn’t understand the big picture of what they’ve been doing and that comes out quickly in the “tell me about a deal” HH question.
- Were you the one that asked for more work and project-driven stuff to gain more experience?
- Did you build a positive working relationship with your colleagues so that they looped you into more calls and can write glowing referrals about you?
- Did you actually involve yourself in the model and explain the deal process start-to-finish?
I’m going to have our team push different promos on different packages this month but until then: 30% off our Platform Access!
Great way to get started with absolutely stellar materials (similar to what you’ll experience in interviews) for only $349!
What Mentees have said about our Platform and Coaching Services in the past:
- “I see you guys all over LinkedIn and have been reading the newsletters since the beginning, in a market like this so long you’re alive you’re doing well — however, you guys seem like you’re THRIVING.”
- “You guys are like bringing science to the interview process, no wonder why you’ve had so many placements”
- “WFH is literally back — TALK ABOUT A LUCKY TIME FOR ANYONE RECRUITING” (Everyone)
- “I loved how accessible coaches and mentors were. Any time I had a question, I could just ask. It was so comforting to have someone else going through the process with me. I can’t imagine going through it without Office Hours.” (EB)
- “You guys are like the new WSO — WSO is full of trollers anyway, really tough to get access to any validated information.” (small boutique)
- “It’s tough to get good deals on your resume, sometimes it’s sometimes a matter of luck — so being able to navigate this process without having the best cards is definitely useful.” (BB)
- “Human capital is never cheap [and being a student athlete], I understand that 1on1 coaching has never been cheap.”
- “Last thing you want to be is STUCK in a DOWN-CYCLE being a banking analyst thinking I should’ve recruited before when there were more opportunities.”
- Read our “Why Choose Us” article & Why Coaching Works
If you’re interested in coaching — TEXT ME and I’ll see what we can do to fit you in!
ONLY 3.8 GPAs AND ABOVE. Strict mandate by our BOD.
Questions? Text us @ 781.258.4911!
CODE: BIRTHDAY expires tonight at 11:59 PM ET!